Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Who's liable?

From: Jason Giglio <jgiglio () vt edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 23:05:50 -0400

So let's say I'm uu.net or some other gigantic ISP and that the technology
is there for me to record every piece of email my users send (and it is

Sorry to continue this thread, but I believe there are specific laws protecting ISPs in the US. Otherwise the ISPs would have to play cop all the time. I think I heard these referred to as "common carrier" laws, and there are certain things that qualify you as one.

As someone else said, consult a lawyer, and don't believe anything you hear here as legal advice.

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com