Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Use of HEAD in web server scan

From: "Mike Lewinski" <mike () rockynet com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 19:08:24 -0700

I went back to the snort logs and had a look at the packet dumps and
found that they were all HEAD requests which appear not to be logged by
IIS.

whisker uses HEAD requests by default.

IIS will log HEAD requests, but may require some reconfiguration of logging
parameters. I.E. I just checked and this was logged on an IIS 4 server:

13:31:51 195.92.95.69 W3SVC30 HEAD /index.htm - 200 284 153 80 Mozilla/4.0+
(compatible;+Netcraft+Web+Server+Survey) http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

I've selected "W3C Extended Log File Format" in the MMC. Also under
"Properties" I have checked "Method" (plus everything else of interest).

If you find that these settings are present on your system, perhaps the logs
were cleaned.

Mike