Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Concept Virus(CV) V.5 - Advisory and Quick analysis

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw () wittsend com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:10:58 -0400

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 05:43:40PM -0400, Jose Nazario wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Olle Segerdahl wrote:

Quick analysis indicates that it propagates itself in a number of
different ways:

any info on how it determines the networks to spread to/ scan? the email
and IIS vulnerability scans are what i'm talking about. is it assuming
class B addresses?

i ask because our netmasks around here are in the neighborhood of /22,
though our severs are seeing scans from the whole /16.

        Seems to be weighted probablistic on octet boundries.  Probes to
a /16 are more probable than probes to /8 which are more probably than
to probes to /0.  Some reports indicate higher probability to /24 but
I can't personally confirm that (since I control all /24 range space
that any of my servers reside in).  Just because it's more likely
to probe within the /16 space it resides in, it doesn't mean that it
won't probe outside of it.  Quite the contrary, actually.

i haven't been tracking the email propogation.

thanks.

jose nazario                                               jose () cwru edu
                   PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
                                     PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw () WittsEnd com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/