Security Incidents mailing list archives

Apache rewrite rules and error msgs & Nimda

From: "Chris Stephens" <Security () Xymox1 com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 20:57:58 -0700

So I am no serious Apache or Unix hack, however I was playing with RewriteRules to:

1) relieve server load on my personal server
2) NOT add to the load in access_log
3) keep my access_log from showing any of the Nimda as 200 and being included in my stats

Here is what I did and it might be useful to others

RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} /scripts/
RewriteRule ^.*$ - [G,L]
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} default.ida
RewriteRule ^.*$ - [G,L]
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} cmd.exe
RewriteRule ^.*$ - [G,L]
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} root.exe
RewriteRule ^.*$ - [G,L]

Yes im sure there is a cleaner way..
 and then

ErrorDocument 410 "

So what this does is, all the Nimda stuff goes 410 and 410 has zero bytes.
My web stats see all the Nimda stuff as errors
Nimda sees every request as failed and doesn't attempt further stuff with each request as it does with the previous
mentioned AliasMatch method.

Im no expert but this seems to work well..

I sure don't use the 410 (Gone permentlly) default message anywhere, ive never even seen it ever while on the net.