Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Tracking down the still infected hosts

From: Nicole Haywood <N.Haywood () isu usyd edu au>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:03:24 +1000

It could be related to the Microsoft IIS shtml.exe path disclosure vulnerability

A search on the web for shtml.exe and vulnerability came up with the following. But it's also over a year old, so
probably isn't too much of a problem with a correctly patched IIS server.

The local path of HTML, HTM, ASP, and SHTML files can be exposed under Microsoft IIS 4.0 and 5.0. Requesting a
non-existent file from shtml.exe will result in error message that discloses the full local path to the web root.

Details Vulnerable systems:
- Microsoft IIS 5.0
- Microsoft IIS 4.0

Exploit:
A URL such as:
http://www.example.com/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/non-existent-file.html
http://www.example.com /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/non-existent-file.htm
http://www.example.com /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/non-existent-file.shtml
http://www.example.com /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/non-existent-file.asp

Will reveal the real path of the web server to an attacker. This information can later be used in further attacks.