Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Unknown Hosts file

From: "<-delusion->" <delusi0n () bellsouth net>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 22:07:53 -0500

a hosts file can be used to redirect a url to a different ip. like for
example a malicious user can mirror www.hotmail.com and put it on their
webserver and edit it so that when you log in it sends the login and
password to the owner of the webserver, then they proceed to edit your hosts
file and put in a field like:
hotmail.com 1.2.3.4
www.hotmail.com 1.2.3.4

where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of their webserver. so then when anyone types in
www.hotmail.com in internet explorer on your computer they go to the user's
webserver and not the real hotmail.com. Since the malicious user mirrored
hotmail.com a user at your computer wouldn't know the difference and proceed
to login. Instead of logging the person into hotmail, it sends the login and
password a user supplies to the malicious user. So you get what i'm saying
right? for more info check out:
http://www.lameindustries.org/tutorials/windowshosts/index.shtml

-delusion
http://www.digital-delusions.com