Security Incidents mailing list archives

abuse of open transparent proxies

From: horape () tinuviel compendium net ar
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:58:29 -0300

¡Hola!

I don't know if this is new or not, but couldn't find anything about this
when googling.

I've just found an interesting attack against a friend's transparent proxy.

The proxy was set up so that any connection to port 80 was proxied (no acl's)

There is some spammer, herbal-place.com, using DNS views to exploit the proxy.

To everybody but the proxy, it says that www.herbal-place.com's address is the
proxy's one. To the proxy, it answers with their true IP.

Result: my friend pay the bandwidth for the spammers.

They have an automated system controlling this (30 seconds after we close the
proxy they changed to abuse a new one)

Saludos,
                                        HoraPe
---