Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Solaris hack

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:44:05 -0500

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:05:06 PST, Jamie Lawrence <jal () abulafia com>  said:
I'm helping with a Solaris 8 box that was rooted.

The attacker replaced the /usr/bin/mc680*0 binaries,
so many of the usual administrative commands are
misbehaving. Is this from a rootkit anyone has seen
before?

There was a posting that smelled like this on another list - U of
Oregon got hit, and we've seen a few at our site as well.