Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SNMP vulnerability test?

From: Eric Brandwine <ericb () UU NET>
Date: 13 Feb 2002 00:34:00 +0000

"drs" == Davis Ray Sickmon, <midryder () midnightryder com> writes:

drs> Besides crashing the device, what's the best way to test for the SNMP
drs> vulnerability?  I've got some hardware out there (Savin printers) that are

There is no way, really.  These packets are not designed to kill any
particular kind of box, just to abuse SNMP.  So short of custom
designing packets, it'll go belly up.

drs> leased (and thus, I have no admin access to them!), and have SNMP
drs> on by default.  I can test against similar hardware here in the
drs> offices, but I'd rather not crash the accounting / office
drs> people's favorite copier / printer ;-) I've seen three separate
drs> lists of hardware that is vulnerable, but none of them look very
drs> complete.

This is what after-hours is for ;)

Assume it's vulnerable.  Everything we've tested (MANY vendors) has
died, except for Lucent/Xedia VPN APs.

At least Cisco/Juniper/Lucent/etc know how to spell s3kur1ty.  I'll
bet you that nobody at Savin has ever thought about IP security.  They
bought an IP/SNMP stack from someone, and just welded it in.  Good
luck getting patches.  You'll spend hours just trying to explain what
the problem is ;)

drs> (I know, I know - it's a bloody printer.  Big deal if it crashes,
drs> right?  Well, I'll get tired of listenin' to people whine if it's
drs> down for even 30 seconds.  Plus I figure it might be nice
drs> information to pass on if there's a "friendly" way to determine
drs> vulnerability.)

What're they printing from?  I'd check that first.  The number of
win98/nt/2k hosts listening on SNMP is terrifying.

They're gonna whine more if they cannot get to the documents that they
want to print.

ericb
--
Eric Brandwine     |  Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it,
UUNetwork Security |  doesn't go away.