Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Machine compromised

From: Jan van Rensburg <jan.van.rensburg () epiuse com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:24:22 +0200

Hi again,
Thanks to everyone that replied. In fact so many replied with helpful
suggestions that I can't say thanks to everyone individually.

To quickly respond to a few questions:

So why do I get
'Operation not
permitted' when I try to do anything to the files?

As the majority of you replied this is due to ext2's extended
attributes.
The fix was this:
# cd /usr/bin

# lsattr ssh2d
lsattr 1.12, 9-Jul-98 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
s---ia-- ssh2d

# chattr -i ssh2d
chattr 1.12, 9-Jul-98 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09

# lsattr ssh2d
lsattr 1.12, 9-Jul-98 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
s----a-- ssh2d

# mv ssh2d ssh2d_hack
mv: cannot move `ssh2d' to `ssh2d_hack': Operation not permitted

# chattr -a ssh2d
chattr 1.12, 9-Jul-98 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09

# mv ssh2d ssh2d_hack

# ls -la ssh2*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       205288 Jan  5 14:43 ssh2d_hack

Considering that I couldn't find any info of how old
UW-IMAP-1.5.1 is
(e.g. http://freshmeat.net/branches/11037/ lists only some
"2000x" and
"2001y" versions)

Yes, sorry I realised my mistake afterwards. It was in fact 2000c. The
release 1.5.1 was RedHat's release (as per RPM info).

Secondly, if your machine is compromised you cannot trust
the output of
e.g. lsmod.

Yes, I realize this is a problem. Like I said the server is
about 7000 miles
from us, so we can't immediately reinstall as we'd like to.
However in the
meantime people on that continent really depend on the server
to be able to
continue doing business. So what I did in the meantime was upgrade
everything on the machine, and copied a trusted version of lsof to the
machine to try and verify that there's no backdoors. So far
it looks ok, but
I realize one can't be 100% sure. In any case we're
monitoring everything
very closely.

(And you should not scorn the importance of
security updates although you have services blocked by firewall!)

Very good point! At this stage I suspect either exim-2.x or
ssh-1.2.26 (even
though it was host based firewalled). I looked at the ssh
situation when all
the advisories came out last year, but decided the firewall should be
enough. I didn't want to be in a position where I upgraded
ssh remotely and
something goes wrong. But yesterday I decided to bite the
bullet and do it,
and it worked fine.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. And also thanks to
Security Focus
and The Honeynet Project who are invaluable resources at
times like this.

Regards,
Jan