Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: remote openssh probe or crack?.

From: Josha Bronson <dmuz () slartibartfast angrypacket com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:34:26 -0700

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 06:13:08PM -0500, Lic. Rodolfo Gonzalez Gonzalez said:
I got these lines in "messages" in a RedHat 6.2 box:

Ooh, make sure you got all the pathces. ;)

Jun 10 09:51:57 server sshd[9100]: Did not receive identification string
from 64.90.65.19
Jun 10 09:52:06 server sshd[9117]: Did not receive identification string
[snip...]

I guess they're related to the latest openssh vulnerability, but I don't
know if this could be caused by a succesful remote exploitation or if this
is just a probe/scan. Any comments on this are appreciated.

These can, I am pretty sure, be caused by just a connection to your
sshd. Usualy this is with somethng that is not really interested in
talking ssh (like a banner grabber or netcat).

--
Josha Bronson
dmuz () angrypacket com