Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Logon Banners

From: "Led Slinger" <leds () darkwater net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 02:42:05 -0500

I'm not sure that you will find tort or case history concerning the
presence of welcome banners.  I could be way off on that one.
Personally, I see them as a means of generating consent to monitoring
and seizure of information in many forms.  This is related to ECPA I
believe.  There is case history pertaining to banners that provide
information relevant to monitoring.  It's implied consent once the
banner is viewed.  May be some gray area still, but I believe that's
the general direction of the court systems.  Look at 18 USC 2511(2)(d)
and 18 USC 2702(b)(3) abd 2703(c)(1)(B)(iii).  A great case history on
this is United States vs. Matlock.  Much of this information can be
found in the U.S. DOJ Search and Seizure Guidelines.  Bruce Middleton
has a section dedicated to this in CyberCrime Investigator's Field
Notes as well.  Excellent book I might add.

Leds!

Hi everyone,

There is a thread going on, on the sf-basics list about logon banners
and legalities.  The general consecutions seems to be one of two
groups of thought;  1)  If you put welcome in your logon on banner
this could make you legally responsible if you are attacked (meaning
the attacker can say, "well it said welcome".)  2)  This is an urban
legend and not really true.

My question is can anyone provide links showing that there have been
court cases decided upon this?  I found a reference in one of my
cisco design books but it does not provide links or any other
cross-reference.

Thx,

Leon