Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: fun with posiden rootkit

From: Skip Carter <skip () taygeta com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:48:10 -0800

- sometimes checking failed script-kiddies can be entertaining if time
  permits to look around for any funny stuff

  I had one incident that I investigated for a client recently.

  It was the usual: gain entry, install rootkit, install password
  scanner, etc.  Except he did it in the wrong order, so that his
  password scanner caught his own connection back to his rootkit
  archive; so when I started my investigation I was able to log in
  to his archive and pick up his entire stash of tools.

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Scientific Inc.        INTERNET: skip () taygeta com