Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: New scanner?

From: "newsletters" <listserv () citadelconsulting net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:10:41 -0500

Jeremy,

I'm not sure if your serious or not, but this is probably the most
common IIS exploit found. Wherever the destination address is located
you're going to find IIS and a compromised scripts directory. The
command (cmd.exe) interpreter has been renamed and copied to the
c:\inetpub\scripts\root.exe and the intruder is using it to gain command
line access to your system. This is basically the ultimate goal of a
hacker. You need to search the system for root.exe and delete it. In
addition you need to check and reset the permissions for C:\inetpub\*.
At a minimum change the scripts directory to read only. Do a search on
bugtraq for codered II. That should give you a more detailed action
plan. My opinion would be to rebuild the box with all current patches
and service packs.

Good Luck!

CB