Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 1080

From: "D.Spezialie" <dspezialie () optusnet com au>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:55:56 +1000

Dear Chris,

Port 1080 is a Socks Proxy port, on that note if you server is a Redhat distro I would put my money on the Redhat Network Update Tool that is misconfigured/not-configured. I have expierienced this type of activity before from the Redhat 7.3 and 8.0 distros trying to contact RHN *constantly* through my firewall. On those distros the RHN daemon "out of the box" is started automatically.

D.

Chris Gross wrote:
We had a large spike in connections through our firewall and we tracked it
down to a Linux 8.0 server. It was creating about 200K connections with a
source and destination port of 1080. Has anyone else seen this.

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com