Security Incidents mailing list archives

Web log abuse?

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 21:18:02 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

At the linux counter we noticed that the webserver logs get a large number
of hits with a referrer setting to porn sites.

This seems to be the latest in the SPAM techniques. (See also:
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,56017,00.html)

Doing some digging myself it seem the request are made by genuine
webbrowsers being lured into muddy watters somehow. IP adddresses that
show up much do have a variaty of user-agent types and a telnet to port
8080 seems to indicate it is just a proxy.

Does anyone know how the request are actually generated? Is it a backdoor
installed via tools like kazaa? Or is it a matter of pop-up windows on
these porn-sites? (So we just get hit by di...... ;-)

Any clues on what techniques are used and how they can be stopped are
appreciated.

Hugo.

--
    hvdkooij () vanderkooij org         http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/