Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: maybe a simple problem

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 09:29:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Jeff Peterson wrote:

A good plan of action to detect if the person is being hacked might be this:

1.  Insert a simple hub, (not a switch), between his pc and the usual
network connection.

2.  Attach another PC to this hub, and collect packets using Ethereal.
(http://www.ethereal.com/).  The hub will allow the sniffer to inspect all
packets to and from his machine.

In a switched networkd ethereal + ettercap will do the same thing. (For
those that believed a switched network was safe: Welcome to the real world
;-)

Hugo.

--
    hvdkooij () vanderkooij org         http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/