Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange Folder

From: discipulus <rootman22 () attbi com>
Date: 05 Oct 2002 18:22:00 -0600

On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 18:18, discipulus wrote:
On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 17:29, Nick Jacobsen wrote:
Two questions:
One: do you have the remote desktop (Terminal Services) enabled?  or any
other remote desktop software?

 I'm not sure but I can find out.

(it is enabled by default on win2k server,
but I am not sure about win2k pro...)
Two: are you a member of a domain?

 Yes

If yes to both these questions, then most likely someone used RD to log onto
you machine with a domain level username and password...  just my $.02

Is it likely this person busted my account password and then signed
onto my machine using my account?  I saw in my security logs where
he connected ten times using NTLM authentication and I read about an
old exploit over at Microsoft's technet site talking about how a hole
in NTLM could allow an attacker to bypass domain authentication, where
a login gets disabled after 3 incorrect attempts, and use a brute force
password cracker to bust the password in the credentials file.  It said
the attacker would only have access to the host machine and not other
domain resources.

I downloaded the patch to fix this but it said the patch was for systems
on SP1 and I'm on SP3.  I haven't installed the patch for fear it will
hose my system but I have changed my password to a real strong one.

Thanks

Nick Jacobsen,
Ethics Design
nick () ethicsdesign com