Security Incidents mailing list archives

Thank you all for your responses to "Huge Autoexec.bat"

From: "Matthew S Barnes" <btc1 () alltel net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:58:25 -0400

Hello
I would like to thank you all for the help you have provided , I now have a
little better understanding of what may have happend, I forwarded your
response to the gentleman who had the problem and he has decided not to dig
any further, I know you think i jumped the gun on the possibility of being
hacked (yes nick i am referring to you) but I am always suspicious and even
though i didnt present evidence as you suggested it really looked fishy to
me. If you had seen the file contents, and been in there that nite as I was
it would be a moot point, unfortunately i dont have access to the file as he
has decided not to persue the matter. I cant send it to those of you who
offered to look at it, but really appreciate the offers of help. I really
find the idea of crosslinked files interesting and after reading all your
posts think that this was a definite possibility. I also think it would be
wise for him to investigate it further to rule out foul play. I thank you
all again for your help

Sincerely

Matthew S Barnes

---