Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: E-Card Remote Code Execution Scam

From: Axel Pettinger <api () epost de>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 11:16:58 +0200

"Jonathan A. Zdziarski" wrote:

This seems an aweful lot to me like a Remote Code Execution Scam...

I received an email addressed to "Undisclosed Recipients" notifying me
that I received an E-Card today, so I went to the site
http://www.surprisecards.net/viewcard.htm?id_num=[Undisclosed]&card=Pick+up
to view the card.  Oddly, I received a security warning asking me if
I wanted to allow some code to run on my machine.

The mentioned page tries to download a CAB file, "e-card_viewer.cab",
which contains the file "potd.dll". From
<http://and.doxdesk.com/parasite/Cytron.html>:

Cytron

Parasites [<]

other nasties

Description

Cytron is an Internet Explorer Browser Helper Object. It scans the
content of pages being viewed for keywords and opens pop-up advertising
when they are detected.

Also known as

POTD, after the filename and BHO name; Burnaby, the internal object
name; TargetingSource, the name used to describe the control in
Downloaded Program Files.

Distribution

Installed by ActiveX drive-by download on a page pointed to by mail
claiming you have received an 'e-card'. The ActiveX control purports to
be a viewer for e-cards.

What it does

Advertising

Yes. When IE is started for the first time it attempts to connect to
Cytron's servers to download a list of keywords to look for, and URLs of
pop-ups to open.

Privacy violation

No.

Security issues

No.

Stability problems

None known.

Removal

First deregister the Cytron BHO. Open a DOS command prompt
(Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter the following commands:

     cd "%WinDir%\System"
     regsvr32 /u "%WinDir%\Downloaded Program Files\potd.dll"

You should then be able to delete the 'TargetingSource' entry in
Downloaded Program Files (in the Windows folder), and the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POTD (Start->Run->regedit).

Links

   * Cytron wrote the ActiveX control.

Regards,
Axel Pettinger