Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Need two files for testing

From: Ben Nelson <lists () venom600 org>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:05:52 -0700

Michael Lastor wrote:

I am working on a certification as an incident handler, and in order to get the certification I need to submit a paper and take some tests. The paper
needs to be about a specific exploit, show exactly how it works (captured packets, logs, etc.) and how to clean up after the fact. The exploit that I would like to write about is the one for the Real Networks Helix Server that was released around August 2003. The "fix" from Real Networks was to remove the vulnerable files from your system. These files are:
vsrcplin.so.9.0 for the *nix platforms and vsrc3260.dll for the windows platform.

I don't have a copy of the version 9.0 files, but I do have the view source plugin for unix version 6.0 in my archives. Version 6.0 was vulnerable to the same attack. Would that be of any use to you?? Sounds like the SANS/GIAC GCIH certification?

--Ben