Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Strange servicepack.exe file (not service.exe) found.

From: Lucretia <lucretias () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:35:53 -0700

If I may interject...

-----Original Message-----
From: Harlan Carvey [mailto:keydet89 () yahoo com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 5:20 PM
To: incidents () securityfocus com
Cc: James C Slora Jr
Subject: RE: Strange servicepack.exe file (not service.exe) found.

James,

To be fair to the original poster, in hindsight
there was reasonable
association from other posts between the suspect
file and some complex
adware that downloads arbitrary additional
components and takes aggressive
actions like installing porno dialers similar to
what was found.

You're mixing terminology.  In my experience, and I do
have quite a bit of experience w/ adware and spyware,
these things are annoying, yes, but hardly aggressive.
 And complex is being...well...generous.

Yes, very few spyware has what I would deem black-hat characteristics.
However the truth of most spyware is that they are profiting from these
actions.  Gator has become one of the top internet web sites (according to
Alexa) as a consequence of their business model.  If more companies continue
in this fashion we will be bombarded with spyware that is uncontrollable.
Then someone will get nasty and all hell will break loose.

I saw the response from Symantec on the item.  I also
downloaded the file, and scanned it with the most
recent defs for NAV...and got nothing.

Yes, however most NIDS detect this, in a varying degree of notification, and
I have noticed a couple different responses to this trigger event.

Rebuilding
might take less than an hour, while investigation
and cleanup might take a little more.

The short term fix may be preferable...but investing a
little bit of time in determining the initial
"infection" vector might save a good deal of time in
"cleaning up" other systems.

Barring your other arguments below...I agree, time is the main concern.
Getting machines back in operation is usually more important that doing any
forensics on the box, or really any auditing.

Recovery takes less skill and often less time than
forensics. That makes it
a positive thing provided one investigated enough to
know that recovery
eliminates any damage that might have occurred.

Hhhmmm...again, perhaps in the short term - but not in
the long run.

This is a good, albiet without substance, argument.

The downside as you say is one will never know. The
"infection" vector might
not be determined until it happens again. And it
would sure be nice to know
if the afflicted (if not infected) machine was
trying to do anything to the
rest of the network or if it was communicating
outside the LAN.

And to be quite honest, it doesn't really take a great
deal of time or skill to do these things.  It simply
takes a bit of time invested in learning to do it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  Without an educated admin its
unlikely much will be done to prevent it from reoccuring (assuming it will
reoccur).

It is important to know what the machine did while
it was in a suspect
state, if possible. The rebuild doesn't help enough
if, for example, network
passwords were compromised.

Very true.

This is a big point, and recommended activity, but look at virtual hosting
providers.  They will seldom disclose a issue to all parties potentially
involved simply due to the support backwash it would cause.  So they repair,
patch and put back into service with most customers not even aware there was
a problem.

Plus it would really be silly if machine gets
rebuilt when a reboot might
have sufficed.

Yep.  However, I believe that the argument amongst
Windows admins will continue to favor rebuilding will
continue for the time being...however unfortunate that
may be.

Funny you say this, I have encounted two occasions where I got a backup of a
system, they rebuilt it, and I found nothing wrong other than the stack had
completely been trashed.  Reboot the test system and it went back to work.
So it does happen.  In this case we found that Gelil (?) was infecting the
machine, but it was certainly cleanable.

Seasons greetings,

James Friesen
CIO
Lucretia Enterprises