Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Packets from 255.255.255.255(80) (was: Packet from port 80 with spoofed microsoft.com ip)

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:35:44 -0500

I thought it was very useful in finding out remote routes...  And we
will not even TALK about firewalking!

;-)

Jim

Christian Vogel wrote:

Hi Frederic,

Although I  _could_  agree as far as a firewalls are concerned, I don't
when it comes to routers.
Blocking/droping any ICMP packet usually turns into a real nightmare
when you've to perform troubleshooting on a wide network.

Please don't spread the word that ICMP only is for troubleshooting
networks. ICMP has it's uses beside "PING", the most important one
being "Path-MTU-Discovery" which will break when filtering all
ICMP packets! [1]

There is a really frightening number of clueless admins which misconfigure
their firewalls this way!

--
James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
Booz | Allen | Hamilton