Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: email address probes

From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul () somewhere com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:01:26 -0500

At 8:54 PM +0000 2/5/03, Andy Bastien wrote:
which we don't want to block.  I suppose that we could accept the
emails and dump them to /dev/null (or to some tarpit account so that
we can inspect them) instead of replying with a "550 User unknown,"
but I suspect that this could cause us more headaches in the future.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we could handle this
problem?

The only solution I know of is to tarpit the server based on number of bounces. The more it bounces, the more slowly you get around to handling responses from it. I don't know of any off-the-shelf solutions that to do that though. And furthermore, if you start doing it, they'll just start distributing the tests across different targets--so then you'll need a distributed tarpit database similar to the RBLs.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.