Security Incidents mailing list archives

klez variant??

From: Peter Snell <PSnell () daymon com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:11:25 -0500

Over the past 2 days, we have been seeing a resurgence of Klez type
activity.  However, this appears to be getting past our a/v software.  The
symptoms we see are:

- spoofed email address
- unusual subject
- no body
- attachments with .scr, .bat, .exe, .jpg extensions (there may be others,
but this is what we've examined so far)
- when the email is opened, even in preview pane, it launches Media Player
but is unable to find the specified file.

Has anyone else seen this type of activity lately, or have any thoughts on
this?

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Snell, MCP