Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange CONNECT entries in apache logs

From: Thomas Jensen <securityfocus () obscure dk>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:58:06 +0200

Christine Kronberg wrote:

[status 200 on CONNECT]

  I see the same, when people try to use my apache as proxy. But
  my index page has always the same size (I do not alter each day :-) ).
  The entries above show a big difference in the transferred bytes.

That is true, I didn't notice that.
However, a dynamic PHP page could vary quite a bit.
I think the sensible thing to do is to check in each case whether it's a misconfigured proxy or simply a PHP4 bug. I almost paniced and shut down our webserver when I saw the entries in the log :-)

I have found several references to this being a PHP4 bug, which can
happen when you have an index.php file and a DirectoryIndex index.php
directive in you Apache conf.

  As I don't have php, do you also see a hop in the transferred bytes?
  Or is that stable?

It's mostly stable in my case - I can track the variations in size to the changes that I've made to the DB that drives the page. But, on a blog type site, I whould imagine the variations would be bigger and more frequent.

Best regards
Thomas Jensen