Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: File on desktop called "~"

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:35:00 +1300

<rice () up edu> wrote:

I'm starting to see some of my workstations getting a
suspicious file on the desktop with the filename ~.
Using a hex editor, you can see current email addresses
that mail has been sent to. Neither Norton or Sophos
detect a problem. Has anyone else seen this or have any
infomation about what this might be?

This has been widely reported as a bug shipped in the recent OE
cumulative patch announced in MS03-014.  Apparently, instead of
making backup copies of the address book when entries are to be added
or removed to files named something like <username>.WA~ this copy
is made to a file named just ~.  In some cases -- I've not seen any
explanation of the precise circumstances -- this is either made the
desktop or a shortcut to it placed there (this confusion probably
arises from user reports not being very reliable in such matters).

All workstations are running win2k or winxp. Outlook
2002 is the email app. Task manager on the afflicted
machines shows all the same processes of non-afflicted
machines.

Is OE not able to be used at all on these machines?

A search of Google Groups that turns up many related message threads
is:

   http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=tilde&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_ugroup=*outlookexpress&lr=&num=100&hl=en

(URL may wrap)

--