Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: DoS "Probing" on one of our hosts

From: "King, Brian" <BKing () langleyfcu org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:21:22 -0400

Chris,
Uhm, I'm quite positive that 97.8 mBit coming in through our uplink are

a pretty good indicator for an attack.
without any idea of what kind of traffic it was, I would not assume
anything. For one thing, can you prove that the traffic was externally
generated? Looking at how aggressively slammer scanned, I would not
discount that the traffic could be generated by a worm within your
network.  Without knowing the destination of the "DOS" packets, you
can't tell if it was a routing messup that sent a torrent of data to
you.

And by "probing" I meant that maybe the attacker only tried to
determine
our maximum bandwidth for a larger-scale attack, since the DoSes
stopped
fairly soon without any outer influence.
Then again, it could be someone on your internal network probing to see
how much they can slow down Yahoo using your bandwidth.

I just don't think we should rush to conclusions without knowing
anything about the traffic.

Brian