Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: KazaaLite 2.0.2 Build 1

From: Jimi Thompson <jimit () myrealbox com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:05:44 -0500

At 7:55 AM -0400 6/2/03, matt wrote:
Platform: win2000 SP3 with full updates/patches.
Program KazaaLite 2.0.2 Build 1

I have 3 partitions on the primary harddrive and 1 external drive. Besides
the default sharing folder "My Shared Folder" on C:, I mainly share
everything on the External drive.  In the past few weeks I've noticed that
when using KazaaLite I see certain files being downloaded from me that
shouldn't be.  Last night (6/1) I saw a file called perform.doc downloaded
to a person with a description I didn't recognize, so I searched for it on
the external but it wasn't there. I checked my other drives and found it on
my D: drive, a drive I am NOT sharing and don't wish to. A few weeks ago I
saw 2 files from my C: drive that were downloaded and that was not shared
either.  I've searched through the registry and haven't seen anything fishy.

Any ideas? Or has anyone seen this? As of right now all sharing on my part
is closed until further research by me and hopefully some of you.

Thanks,

Matt

Kazaa and Kazaa Lite have both been prone to various security issues including exploits which follow exactly what you have described. There have been trojaned versions released that when installed, did various nefarious things. Understand that when you dowload the software, it doesn't come from kazaa.com, you get from a user on the kazaa network that's sharing the file. There is absolutely nothing to keep them from making their own kazaa.exe or whatever and sharing the trojaned version. Best of all, you know which users downloaded so you can try to connect to them later.

--
Thanks,

Ms. Jimi Thompson, CISSP, Rev.

"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber." --Plato