Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re(2): Help with an odd log file...

From: Ken Eichman <keichman () cas org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 15:58:52 -0400 (EDT)

From: "James C. Slora Jr." <Jim.Slora () phra com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 21:29:27 -0400
Please forgive my rambling below - I'm all hyped up because I've been
looking at something similar and it looks like something big is happening
under our noses.

I agree. The few feelers I put out about this have fallen on deaf ears so
I've been sitting on this for a couple of weeks, watching it slowly grow
to its present volume of one of these random SYNs almost every second
against our /16.

My working hypothesis is that the primary probe source is completely spoofed
and is some sort of homing signal for a complex trojan. The oddball probes
are probably not spoofed and are possibly the agents of the actual abusers.
The "agents" have all been dialup or cable modem systems (probably owned),
except the primary prober that is spoofing the address of a very large
semi-government agency.

We're seeing a around 100-200 "agents" (as you call them) here. I also
concluded that the one-to-one source-to-destination probers are spoofed
(i.e, your "primary prober"),and I've been looking at the one-to-many probers
("agents") as the interesting traffic. Presently each of these ~100
probers are our /16 network anywhere from once/minute (the most active
prober) to once every 1-3 hours. As you found, these addresses are
dominated by cable/DSL/broadband providers. Another common thread is that
many (but not all) of them have open netbios port(s), primarily 135/tcp.

I also can't help but wonder if this traffic might be related to the
stateless Code Red middle packets being logged widely and some Code Red
infections that people are reporting inside hardened systems. A Q-like
trojan could possibly have been triggered by the packets to start sending
Code Red packets even though IIS had been hardened. Maybe someone who has
had this happen could review their logs and compare sequence and IDs on
packets from the source they believe compromised them with a stateless 2nd
packet only of Code Red. If those sequence and IDs correlate with other
anomolous packets, that might establish a link.

FWIW so far I haven't found any IIS servers running in the "agent" group.

Ken Eichman                 Senior Scientist
Chemical Abstracts Service  IT Information Security
2540 Olentangy River Road   614-447-3600 ext. 3230
Columbus, OH 43210          keichman () cas org