Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: SPM2000$ Rouge Share

From: Jonathan Rickman <jonathan () xcorps net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:53:44 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Robinson, Jonathon wrote:

Harlan,

If I go to the management console> shared folders> shares> Right-click and
properties> I get the following:

"This has been shared for administrative purposes. The share permissions and
file security cannot be set."

However, I'm not able to reboot the server at this time as it's currently in
production, so the reoccurrence of the share is simply an assumption.

I'd just like to know why this share exists.

The software package mentioned earlier is produced by Gravity Storm
Software http://securitybastion.com. I have used this software on NT4 with
great success. It did not exhibit this behavior. I can't say that is does
not exhibit this behavior by default on Win 2000 as I have not tested it.
However, I suspect that it could have created the share for it's own use.
Most likely to facilitate the distribution of service packs and hotfixes.
The version I tested prompted you to do this on your own, perhaps newer
versions do not. The maintainer can be contacted with the addresses on the
web site.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security

<Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
Take back your personal time.
15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
<A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure";> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>