Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Probable Trojan.

From: "Jim Butterworth" <res0qh1m () verizon net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:25:49 -0800

When you do a netstat -an from the command prompt, do you see the UDP
port 1053 there, and does it say established, waiting, or ??  What IP is
listed as the foreign address?  Are you hooked to a broadband router
using NAT?

"The Thief" Trojan runs on TCP port 1053, and since this is UDP I doubt
there is something there.  To really dig into it, you'd need some
captures from TCPDUMP.  Know how to set up and run that?  If you suspect
something is going on, about the only way to be sure it is not a remote
sort of deal is you need to sniff in/out traffic.  Otherwise, a
keylogger, or some other secret malware on the machine itself would be
suspect.  Has he used various machines, or the same one every time?

  There is an AOL.PWstealer trojan.  Did you run av?

Warmest Regards,
Jim Butterworth, GCIA