Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: strange windows behaviour.

From: Karl Levinson <levinson_k () despammed com>
Date: 9 Oct 2003 14:10:40 -0000

You've gotten some good advice already.  FWIW, I would not first suspect adware in either of the cases below.

Regarding the university report, the fact that winservn.exe does not show up in a Google.com search plus the fact that
it is listening for inbound connections does not make me think adware.

In both incidents, I would want to save and submit the responsible file to the anti-virus vendor for inspection.

Regarding the original poster's incident, knowing the ports and remote IP addresses involved would be helpful.  If you
haven't already, running one of the previously mentioned port inspecting tools such as Fport from
Foundstone.com/knowledge that actually tells you what executable is generating the traffic should be done.  Inspecting
firewall and IDS logs for traffic from the affected machines or ports and/or running a sniffer such as Ethereal,
Windump or Snort could be useful.  [Windows Netstat utility doesn't give you that information unless you're running
XP.]  Plus pretty much all the standard procedures one would do for incident response and inspection of mystery
executables, as detailed in the Osborne book "Incident Response," at www.cert.org/tech_tips, http://csrc.nist.gov, etc.

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:03:30 -0700
From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>

I've got a bit of a problem, and I was wondering if anyone on this list
has seen similar things.  Recently, we've been having student windows
machines on our residential network begin spewing large, massive (on the
order of hundreds of thousands in a few hours) spam messages at our mail
servers.  We promptly disconnect the machines and head down to do some
forensic work on the boxes when we get a chance (usually after they call
to complain that the internet has died).