Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New Rootkit?

From: Eoghan Casey <eco () corpus-delicti com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:45:46 -0400

This sounds like SucKIT (http://hysteria.sk/sd/f/suckit/) or a variant. This has been in general use since last year. It injects itself directly into kernel memory rather than using kernel loadable modules.

See the README (http://hysteria.sk/sd/f/suckit/readme):

Q: How I can make suckit to run automatically each reboot of machine ?
  A: The generic way (as the install script does) is to
     rename /sbin/init to /sbin/init<hidesuffix>, and place sk binary
     instead of /sbin/init, so suckit will get resident imediatelly
     after boot. However, when it will get resident, all of such changes
     will be stealthed ;) If you can't fiddle with /sbin/init, you
still can place binary to somewhere into /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S##<hidesuffix>
     or such.

Eoghan Casey