Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Strange Windows logon attempts

From: Bill Proffitt <bill () luckyeagle com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:14:33 -0700

What was the IP range if I may ask?

Thanks,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Clive Kingston [mailto:ckingston () cheviottrust com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 2:11 AM
To: incidents () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: Strange Windows logon attempts

Chris

Similar attempts were recently made on our network, trying to
come in via
SMTP. I tracked the IP down to an elementary school network
in China, who
were responsible for an earlier hack attempt (fortunately
also failed). I
can't tell whether their network was the actual source or
merely an open
relay for someone else. I informed the registered supervisor
but haven't
received a reply (didn't really expect one). Must have got
bored after seven
minutes as the attempts stopped.

What intrigued me was the rapid  attempt rate, basically
every three to four
seconds. That has to be an automated hacking tool. It
alternated attempts at
Webmaster with \root. Maybe that's designed to exploit a Linux/Unix
platform?

Anyway Chris, they didn't get in and no further attempts have
been made so
far. I've blocked the IP range.

Hope this helps some.

Clive.