Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange set of TCP ports

From: Shashank Rai <shashrai () emirates net ae>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:40:40 +0400

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 00:09, mgotts () 2roads com wrote:
Run openports.exe from DiamondCS on the suspect boxen.
 If you don't have physical access, but do have admin
access, use psexec.exe from SysInternals, as well.

snip
SysInternals probably does have such a utility, but I'm not sure what it
is off the top of my head.
sysinternals has a nice GUI tool for Windows -- TCPView & foundstone has
a cmd line tool - fport (though the advantage of openports.exe is that
it does not require admin priv to give the required info)

As for the original post.......
can someone help me in identifying the following
strange subset of open
TCP ports ?
3687/tcp open  unknown
3688/tcp open  unknown
3689/tcp open  rendezvous
3690/tcp open  unknown
3691/tcp open  unknown
The Port Report from http://members.cox.net/~jtmatthews/Resources.html
is a usefull document. According to the doc, this possibly might be SAP
R/3. It all depends on what OS you saw ports open on (the above replies
*assume* it is windows!!) and how did you determine the ports were open?
(port scan or netstat which translates to remotely or locally)!!

On a *NIX box, lsof is your friend.
# lsof -i | egrep (LISTEN|IDLE)

(infact on Linux, netstat -lnp will do the job).

If it's a windows box, then the tools have already been mentioned above.

HTH,
cheers,
--
Shashank Rai