Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: IIS web server hacked..any tips?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:32:59 -0500

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:47:51 PST, David LeBlanc said:

So you'd set the switch, boot the system, wait until you want to
snapshot it, and then use the debugger to look at anything in memory you
like. Windbg will do this, and I think SoftIce does, too. The owned
system is defenseless against an external kernel debugger.

Well.. that's not *really* a totally external debugger.  For starters, you're
assuming the system is cooperating enough to *start* the debugger, and to keep
talking to it.  There's no good way to *force* (on the *hardware* level) the
system to cooperate across that serial cable.  A *sufficiently* 0wned box can
simply ignore that port - it's just that no rootkits so far have bothered to
protect against it.  (Think about it - if it's a boot.ini flag, all I have to
do is add a rootkit part that says "ignore that boot.ini flag" and the debugger
is useless....)

The ieee1394/iPod trick is different in that the external 1394 device literally
*CAN* force itself into the system on the hardware level and do DMA to suck out
all the RAM contents, totally without any cooperation from the system.