Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: UDP Port Sweep question

From: Tim <tim-forensics () sentinelchicken org>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:52:35 -0500

I monitor 3 different sensors which are continuously pounded with network
reconnaissance of all types.

I assume these are outside of firewalls?

These sensors all belong to financial
institutions.  One thing that jumped out at me are "UDP Port Sweeps"
events from about 15 different IP addresses which all belong to either IBM
or Sequent (which was bought by IBM). I see these same IP addresses doing
the same thing on all three sensors.  I have contacted the clients and
they do not deal with IBM or Sequent in any way. Are there legitimate type
traffic
that would cause these events to fire?

Can you provide more information?  Source and destination ports, ttls,
etc?  Otherwise I wouldn't know how to answer such a question.

It is odd to me that I see them on
all 3 sensors for 3 different companies but all happen to be in the
financial industry. Thanks in advance for your input.

It wouldn't be the first time that the financial industry was targetted.
Then again, it could be nothing.

tim