Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Blaster Recurrence

From: "Dave Paris" <dparis () w3works com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:19:19 -0500

In addition to shutting down unused switch ports, MAC-lock your active ports
to prevent someone from just unplugging one cable and shoving in another
(blocking physical access to the devices in the first place is also a Good
Thing)  MAC-locked DHCP is also helpful... as are VLANs.

When properly configured (which, yes, takes time and resources a lot of
companies aren't willing to expend until they're crippled by something like
this), your network infrastructure can prevent a lot of attack vectors and
make life a little more bearable for the admins charged with keeping peace
on the wires.

Kind Regards,
-dsp