Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Dameware intrusion (was Increase in TCP 6129 (Dameware) scans?)

From: "Train25" <sreddick () ns sympatico ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:02:02 -0400

Yes it was installed hidden and running in the services as "Utility Manager"
while the Serv-U ftp was masked as "Telephony" in most cases. But with the 3
honeypots we have set up at the moment have combined hit 800+ times today
alone. We have the 3 boxes locked down so no harm will come of our local
network. At last count we had 17 different root kits that have been
installed between the 3 boxes. The attackers methods basically the same in
each case and currently we have our security analyst connected and logging
activity of a botnet containing almost 24,000 infected machines. I must give
these attackers some credit and wish they were on our side of the fence.

Earlier today we updated one box to the newer version of Dameware to test
its security against this exploit and have found it will deny attackers
remote access. Although the dameware client does crash very often with the
amount of hits we have been receiving.