Security Incidents mailing list archives

RES: Novarg

From: "Romulo M. Cholewa" <rmc () rmc eti br>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:58:13 -0300

I would like to point out that there are products that check inside
compressed files, like zip.

I have lots of customers that use email gateway AV systems, and
configuring them to reject .scr, .pif, .exe, .com (etc etc) by default
proved to be the way to go. Notably, the Symantec AV for SMTP Gateways
is able to do that, Im not sure about other products.

Unfortunately, those emails rejected due to a file extension will not
get scanned, and will be simply dropped. This give us some false
statistics about viruses, since the engine won't be aware of them.
Frankly, Im not that worried about it, once that they get caught.

Romulo M. Cholewa
Home : http://www.rmc.eti.br
PGP Keys Available @ website.