Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Malware(?) inserting porn links into registration/profile data for unsuspecting users

From: Joe Stewart <jstewart () lurhq com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:06:22 -0400

On Thursday 15 July 2004 8:47 am, SF Lists wrote:
At this point, I suspect that this is the work of some
sort of malware or virus that detects the presence of
an input field with the name "homepage" and inserts
one of these addresses upon submitting the form,
however have been unsuccessful in finding any
references to a known application that uses this
behavior. Keep in mind that this is simply based on
observation and I have not attempted to change the
fields in the registration form to see if the affected
registrations stop. Are there any known viruses or
malware that exhibit this type of
behavior?

Your culprit is a little-known DLL called "submithook.dll" that is
bundled with CWS/WinShow/IEFeats among other browser-hijacker trojans.
Submithook is a BHO that searches your outgoing HTTP requests for web
form post fields with the name "url", "homepage", "page", "www",
".cl1", and "site". In the background it queries a site such as

http://www.fdadfswr.com/?r=%url&i=%nid

where it receives a URL to insert into the the named field in the form.
The request then continues to the destination site with the newly
inserted data. This is probably being done in an attempt increase the
inserted site's Google ranking.

Symantec calls it "Adware.FreeComm", and it is also known as "LizardBar"
or "Free Community"

http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/adware.freecomm.html
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/lizardbar/index.phtml

However, I haven't seen a correct writeup of it on any site, which
explains why you were unable to find any descriptions that matched its
behavior.

-Joe

--
Joe Stewart, GCIH