Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Anyone else seeing SSH scans?

From: "Andrew Kopp ( Tor ZEW )" <andrew.kopp () kuehne-nagel com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:33:01 -0400

I have seen an significant increase of scans on our ssh ports...

But none of them seem to be related to any on this list. The attacker is
trying different accounts such as root or admin. They seem to try two
passwords with the admin account and three passwords with the root account.
If they are unable to obtain access they move on to the next host. It seems
to be scripted as each host has the same log except for the timestamp.)

All scans have originated from one source. Below is an example from one of
my servers:

Jul 26 01:55:50 www1 sshd[32674]: Failed password for admin from
128.175.230.71 port 41402 ssh2
Jul 26 01:55:51 www1 sshd[32680]: Failed password for admin from
128.175.230.71 port 41443 ssh2
Jul 26 01:55:52 www1 sshd[32691]: Failed password for root from
128.175.230.71 port 41493 ssh2
Jul 26 01:55:53 www1 sshd[32697]: Failed password for root from
128.175.230.71 port 41518 ssh2
Jul 26 01:55:53 www1 sshd[32703]: Failed password for root from
128.175.230.71 port 41562 ssh2

But since the first attack they have stopped... Mind you they managed to
scan my entire class C.

To be honest, because they are looking for root logins, I am assuming they
are just scanning for badly configured hosts. (could possibly be using
default configurations for some systems such as routers or firewalls)

Regards,

Andrew Kopp
Kuehne + Nagel
andrew.kopp () kuehne-nagel com