Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Incident investigation methodologies

From: "Fiscus, Kevin" <kfiscus () allianttech com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:29:39 -0400

I have been watching this thread since its inception.  I must admit that I am a bit shocked.  The keys to good incident
response and effective forensics investigations are your process and your approach.  Technology comes second.  If this
were a matter of running the newest techno-gizmo, anyone could do it.  To effectively respond to an incident, we must
have good processes.  In other words, we must have incident investigation methodologies.  I cannot think of anything
that would be of greater value to an incident handler or a computer crime investigator (especially one new to the
field) than a basic approach that has been tested and tried.  Having a group of skilled and experienced professionals
who work together to build and maintain them would ensure that they are both useful and accurate.  This, I believe, is
one half of what Harlan is trying to create.  I, for one, applaud this effort.

The second half of what I believe Harlan is trying to do is to take discussion from the realm of theory into the realm
of practical experience.  We all know what rootkits should be able to do.  We all know that there are thousands of
exploits in the wild.  It would seem to me that instead of saying that a rootkit could do something, it would be more
beneficial to the community at large to:
 - State the capabilities of specific rootkits
 - Describe some of the indications that a rootkit may be present on a      system
 - Describe how the rootkit presence could be verified
 - Identify how the rootkit can be removed
 - Identify the steps that may be taken to discover how the rootkit ended up on the system in the first place

This information should be collected using real, controlled test scenarios or real-world experience rather that a bunch
of theory that anyone who can read can get from the local book store.  Again, I think that this effort would be
extremely valuable.

Kevin Fiscus, CISSP
GIAC Certified Forensics Analyst
SCSA, CCNA, RCSE