Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Releasing patches is bad for security

From: "Jerry Shenk" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:51:40 -0500

You can monitor activity for a particular port on the Internet Storm
Center (http://isc.sans.org).  In the case of, Blaster, if you look at
the port 135 scanning activity around the time of the blaster release
(Aug 16, 2003), you can see an increase in traffic just prior to the
release of the patch.  There is also a noticeable ramping up prior to
that, prior to the 10th of August that is.
http://isc.sans.org/port_details.html?port=135&repax=1&tarax=2&srcax=%20
2&percent=N&days=270&Redraw=Submit+Query

I think this supports the idea that somebody knew prior to the patch
release.  Things certainly got busier after the patch was released.