Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Trojan of somesort

From: Greg Bolshaw <greg () linuxtechnologies co uk>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 22:00:53 +0100

Bob the Builder wrote:
I am currently doing an investigation into a compromised system. Before pulling the plug I netcatted to a suspicous open port and received the following banner:
         220 SiGN - FR33-FXP3rs - On Da FUcKiNG C@S£!!!
I am presuming this to be the welcome banner for a trojan horse of some sort. Has anybody seen this before or does anybody know anything about it or what Trojan this might be?

It's issuing a 220 - that's the welcome code for SMTP. Try sending a HELO or EHLO. If it responds with a 250, my bet is it's running as an open relay.

--
Greg Bolshaw <greg () linuxtechnologies co uk>
Consultant