Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Trojan of somesort - Update

From: Steven Trewick <STrewick () joplings co uk>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:53:34 +0100

From that standpoint, there's nothing in BtB's
original post or otherwise that indicates a
"hack"...but yes, you're right...I'm making it a
matter of semantics.  I think it's important to
distinguish...leaving the door open for a kiddie to
compromise your box doesn't necessarily make it a
"hack".

In this context, I don't think it is important at all, if BtB
had used the phrase "compromised" instead, this discussion would never
have arisen at all.

In fact, to be honest, it really is about time that we all got over
the distinction, and try to understand implicitly, that one of the
*many many* connotations of the word "hack" is indeed "compromise
of box by sKidie", even if i'ts just from their POV.

*Human* vocab and grammar are flexible, descriptive, and evolving,
usage creates definition.

OT, and Oil On Troubled Water, but thats my 0.02

</code>
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged, it is intended for the addressee only.
If you have received this e-mail in error please delete it from your system. The statements and opinions expressed in
this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the company. Whilst Joplings Group
operates an e-mail anti-virus program it does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by
viruses being passed.
joplings.co.uk