Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Solegg ?

From: xian () mat uni torun pl
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:46:05 +0200

Cytowanie David Gillett <gillettdavid () fhda edu>:

  I recently attempted to contact this forum about strange traffic
coming from one of our hosts.  (My message was rejected without
explanation.)  The host was sending out ICMP Echo-Reply packets
which contained the keyword "skillz" and about 1K of null bytes.
No ICMP Echo-Request packets were seen eliciting these.

  This week, continuing to research this machine, I found that it
was also the source of bursts of traffic from (spoofed) 127.0.0.x
addresses to 108.122.0.0, in a ragen marked "reserved" by IANA.
A Google search shows that other sites had seen such traffic going
back as far as 2002, but I could not find any indication that its
cause had been positively identified.

  I still don't know for certain that this box was the victim of
a single infestation, but the possibility that these are symptoms
of the same compromise may be worth considering.

From Your descrtiption it seems like some 'call home'. Did You notice any other
suspicious traffic from / to this machine ?
Maybe You could provide more info eg tcpdump output ?
greetings
Jan